Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Some of my heroes

Dear Class:
Each class is, for me, another step on an adventure up the mountain called school. For better or for worse, the vistas we’ve shown each other along the way will be etched in our collective memory. We probably can’t choose what we’ll remember, if anything at all. What remains will be how we treated each other, our attitudes toward life and living, a few good books and still fewer original thoughts. For your stamina, resilience, talent, creativity, inspiration and persistence, each of you has, in your own way, joined the following list of my heroes.
D. Lackey



My life has been the poem I would have writ,
But I could not both live and utter it.

- Henry David Thoreau

The American Scholar
An oration delivered to the Phi Beta Kappa Society at Harvard in 1837.
Oliver Wendell Holmes called this speech America's "Intellectual Declaration of Independence."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Education is not properly an industry, and its proper use is not to serve industries, either by job-training or by industry-subsidized research. It's proper use is to enable citizens to live lives that are economically, politically, socially, and culturally responsible.
- Wendell Berry

I always wanted to be a cowboy. But alas! I was burdened early with certain inescapable obligations to world literature.
- Edward Abbey

Life is what happens to us when we’re busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

I am a folk singer and composer of songs and ballads in the folk vein, writer of stories and articles, guitar player, harmonica blower and singer.
- Woody Guthrie

Don’t think twice, it’s alright.
- Bob Dylan

Time Magazine's Most Influential People of the 20th Century